Small pot plants are a great way to bring color and charm to your outdoor areas. But sometimes the best place of a small plant for decor may not necessarily be the best spot for plant growth. Lack of enough light is probably the biggest factor limiting the growing potential of outdoor plants in most regions of the house. There are some tried and true tips for using small pots to great advantage to enhance the beauty of any outdoor area.
* Care For Your Small Pot Plants – Of course the biggest consideration before planting anything in your backyard is the care for your plants. While the overall look can be achieved by simply picking up a small pot of soil, your tiny plants will need a bit more care if you want them to thrive. Small pots should be carefully monitored for water and food intake. Watering needs should be done on a regular basis so your backyard will be a lush green sanctuary every time you sit down to enjoy a meal outdoors.
* Get the Right Lighting – One way to give small pot plants a little extra of sunlight is to place them in an exposed planter. If your garden is wide open and has direct sunlight all the time, this might be all you need to help your garden grow to look great. However, there are other options for increasing the amount of light your garden receives. Ask an expert in backyard landscaping for tips and tricks.
* Tube lights can make a difference – Many people have found success by using tubes to provide light intensity in their gardens. These can either be low-voltage versions that plug into a wall outlet or high-voltage models that plug directly into a home’s electrical system. Both styles offer varying levels of light intensity and can be helpful when used properly. If you’re just getting started with planning and designing your garden, you may find it helpful to get expert advice from a professional.
* Lights that shine upwards – Using small and tube lights to draw light upwards can be a very effective option for providing artificial sunlight to small areas of your garden. Typically, these lights are used inside the house where direct sunlight isn’t available. Keep in mind though, these lights are not recommended for use outside. To enjoy the benefits of artificial sunlight, keep your indoor plants and flowers topped off with artificial lighting.
* Indoor plants can tolerate low light – Plants don’t require nearly as much light as outdoor plants do to grow well. An indoor gardener can typically grow just as many plants as he can in outdoor locations. The trick is learning how to manage your indoor plants so they don’t get too hungry or water thirsty due to lack of direct sunlight. You also want to ensure that you don’t over-water or allow them to overwater because they’ll need it. The key to growing beautiful gardens indoors is making sure that they receive the appropriate nutrition to thrive.
* Choose varieties that can tolerate different temperatures – When growing plants, many gardeners choose varieties that are able to tolerate different temperatures. Some varieties will grow better in moderate temperatures, while others need to be kept at a cooler temperature to prevent freezing. You should know that some varieties are more tolerant of cold than others. It’s best to get advice from a gardening professional before choosing the right varieties for your garden. In addition, there are large selections of small pot plants available for midsummer garden festivities that don’t require as much care. These mid-season varieties include tulips, hyacinths, daffodils, sunflowers, and a host of other seasonal varieties that are available at garden centers and nurseries.
* Grow plants that prefer direct sunlight – Certain types of plants will only grow better if they get some direct sunlight throughout the day. There are many varieties that will do well if you provide them with three to four hours of direct sunlight during the day and only one to two hours at night. You’ll find that most varieties will do equally well under medium to high light intensities. The trick to choosing the right type of small garden plant that likes direct sunlight is to make sure that the leaves and flowers appear clear and white. If you want to plant flowers that look very nice in the evening, choose plants that like the afternoon sun.